Summer comfort food. You don't often see those words together but the Panzanella salad is just that. Fresh, ripe summer vegetables, bread, EVOO, and herbs - this Tuscan chopped salad is great as written and allows a lot of room to improvise. Enjoy!
- 1 pound stale (but not dried out) country-style bread, cut into cubes
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- 1 or 2 cucumbers, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup firmly packed basil leaves, very coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup robust F. Oliver’s Single Varietal Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup F. Oliver’s Italian Herb Balsamic
- F. Oliver’s Sunshine Seasoned Pepper, to taste
- Oliver’s Fleur de Sel, to taste
Place bread in a large bowl. Cut tomatoes in half and cut into ½ inch slices. Add the tomatoes to the bread, along with the onion, cucumber and basil leaves.
In a separate bowl, combine EVOO, balsamic, salt, and pepper. Whisk to emulsify and pour over salad. Mix well and set aside for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to develop.