Autumn Barley Salad
This warm and welcoming grain dish makes a hearty side or a mellow bed for a meat-based main.Print Pin Rate
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced and divided
- 1 tablespoon mulling spices, wrapped in cheesecloth and tied
- salt, to taste
- 3 tablespoons F. Oliver’s Sage with Wild Harvest Mushroom EVOO
- 2 cups shitake mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1 medium sized apple, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons F. Oliver’s Sunday Morning Maple Balsamic
- shaved fontina cheese for serving (optional)
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add barley, onion, half of the garlic, mulling spices in cheesecloth bag, a touch of salt, and cook according to package directions. Remove cheesecloth bag when barley is cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon Sage with Wild Harvest Mushroom EVOO in a small sauté pan. Add the mushrooms and sauté until cooked through, add the garlic and cook for another minute or so. Add salt to taste. Stir in diced apples, cover, and remove from heat.
- Place Sunday Morning Maple Balsamic in the bottom of a small bowl, slowly drizzle in remaining Sage with Wild Harvest Mushroom EVOO, whisking as you go. When EVOO and balsamic are fully combined, season to taste.
- In another bowl, fold together barley and mushroom mixtures. Drizzle vinaigrette over and combine to coat.
- Optionally top with shaved cheese. This dish can be enjoyed at room temperature, cold, or warmed.
Leave A Comment