Irish Beef Stew
- 1 ¼ lb. stew beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 c. carrots, sliced
- 3 lbs. potatoes, diced
- ¼ c. F. Oliver’s Ripe Fig Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbsp. F. Oliver’s Empire Butchers Rub, divided
- ½ c. F. Oliver’s Heady Garlic EVOO, divided 2 bay leaves
- 1 c. Guinness or other stout
- 1 c. dry red wine
- 6 c. beef stock or broth
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. dried thyme
- ¼ c. fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- salt, to taste
- Marinate stew beef in balsamic vinegar for at least three hours or overnight. Remove meat from marinade and season with 1 tbsp. Empire Butchers Rub.
- Heat ¼ c. EVOO in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Brown beef on all sides without stirring.
- Add stock/broth, Guinness, wine, tomato paste, bay leave, thyme, sugar, 1 tbsp. Empire Butchers Rub to pot. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and let cook for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, heat ¼ c. EVOO in a separate sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, potato and carrots and sauté until onions are golden.
- Add vegetable mixture to the stew, add salt to taste and simmer uncovered until stew beef is tender (about 40 minutes). Discard bay leaves and sprinkle with fresh parsley to serve.