Autumn Barley Salad
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced and divided
- 1 tablespoon F. Oliver’s mulling spices (wrapped in cheesecloth & tied)
- salt, to taste
- 3 tablespoons F. Oliver’s Sage with Wild Harvest Mushroom EVOO, divided 2 cups shitake mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1 medium sized apple, diced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons F. Oliver’s Sunday Morning Maple Balsamic
- Shaved fontina cheese, for serving
- In a medium sized saucepan add barley, onion, half of the garlic, mulling spices in cheesecloth bag, and a touch of salt, and cook according to package directions. Remove cheesecloth bag when barley is cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tablespoon Sage with Wild Harvest Mushroom EVOO in small sauté pan. Add garlic and mushrooms; sauté until cooked through and season to taste with salt. Stir in diced apples, cover, and remove from heat.
- Place Sunday Morning Maple Balsamic Vinegar in the bottom of a small bowl, slowly drizzle in remaining Sage with Wild Harvest Mushroom EVOO, and season to taste.
- In another bowl, add barley and mushroom mixtures and fold together. Drizzle vinaigrette over and fold to coat. Top with shaved cheese and enjoy at room temperature, cold, or warmed.