Wise words from Crystal, F. Oliver’s Park Avenue Store Manager:
As flu season grips the nation it is good to be reminded of simple ways to stay healthy. Proper hand washing, cough covering and healthy eating are a sure way to avoid getting the flu. During this time of the year I am always looking for recipes that warm me up but are also packed full of local seasonal fresh vegetables. Recipes that really make you feel good and give you the energy you need to fight off illness. One of the ways I do this is by visiting my local farmers market on a weekly basis. It’s a way for me to get the ingredients I need, to become inspired and create healthy recipes all week long. Of course I love using our FRESH extra virgin olive oils to accompany different recipes that not only add delicious but HEALTHY flavor.
I LOVE SOUP! It’s an amazing way to get as many veggies as possible into one pot. It’s warm, it’s comforting, it’s chock full of healthiness! Below is my all-time favorite soup recipe to keep you feeling good all winter long!
- 2 tablespoons of F. Oliver’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil (choose your favorite!)
- 2 cups chopped onions or thinly sliced leeks (whites only)
- 2 cups of carrots, chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 cups of green beans, cut on a bias
- 2 cups of potatoes, cubed
- 2 cups of zucchini, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoons Italian dried herbs
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 8 cups reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Heat EVOO in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onions or leeks, carrots, celery, green beans, potatoes, zucchini, garlic, and Italian seasoning; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes and their juice, tomato paste, bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
Add an array of beans, short cut pastas or shredded chicken to the pot to change to soup completely! Drizzle with your favorite F. Oliver’s EVOO!