- 2 packages dry active yeast
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 3/4 c lukewarm water
- 1/3 c EVOO
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 5 c unbleached all purpose flour
- Pinch kosher salt
- Dissolve the yeast in 1 cup lukewarm water in a bowl and let sit until foamy. In another bowl, add the remaining ¾ cup water, EVOO, and the salt. Pour in the yeast mixture. Blend in the flour, 1 cup at a time (4-5 ½ cups), until the dough comes together.
- Knead on a floured board for 10 minutes, adding flour as needed to make it smooth and elastic. Put the dough in an oiled bowl, turn to coat well, and cover with a towel. Let rise in a warm draft-free place for 1 hour, until doubled.
- Punch down the dough, knead it for about 5 minutes, and gently roll it out to fit a jelly roll pan, 15 ½ by 10 ½ inches. Let rise for 15 minutes, covered. Oil your fingers and make impressions with them in the dough, 1 inch apart.
- Let rise one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Drizzle the dough with EVOO and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with additional oil if desired. Cut into squares and serve warm.
F. Oliver’s Oil and Vinegar recommendations:
- Herbes de Provence
- Fresh Bright Basil
- Heady Garlic