Looking for something fancy for your Valentine’s Day dinner? Look no further. We have an elegant meal featuring our February products of the month. The recipes are simple, but their flavor will wow your Valentine.
Scallops with Blood Orange Risotto and watercress salad (w/ dark chocolate vinaigrette)
Makes 4 generous entrée portions
For the Risotto:
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tablespoons F. Oliver’s Fresh Pressed Blood Orange EVOO
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1- 1 ½ cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano, divided
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Bring broth to a very low simmer. Heat Blood Orange EVOO in a large pot over medium-high head. Cook onions until softened, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook until the garlic aroma is apparent, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add rice and salt; stir well. Turn heat down to medium-low. Stir ½ cup of broth and about 2 Tablespoons of wine to the rice. Cook, stirring frequently, until liquid is absorbed.
- Continue to cook on medium-low, adding broth in ½ cup increments and wine in 2 Tablespoon increments; stir frequently after each addition until most of the liquid is absorbed. The risotto is done when you have used all of the broth and most if not all of the wine, and the rice dish is creamy and just tender. This usually takes 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 1 cup cheese.
For the Scallops:
- 16 Bay scallops, patted dry
- 2-3 Tablespoons F. Oliver’s Poker Run Pork Seasoning
- 1-2 Tablespoons F. Oliver’s single varietal EVOO
- Lightly pat each scallop top and bottom with Poker Run Pork Seasoning. In a medium sauté pan, heat EVOO until oil is pulling away from center of pan. Place one scallop at a time in the pan and sear each side until golden brown and scallop is just cooked through, turning only once (about 5 minutes total). Repeat until all scallops have been cooked.
For the Watercress Salad:
- 3 cups watercress, rinsed well and spun dry
- 2 Tablespoons F. Oliver’s Dark Chocolate BV
- 1/3 cup F. Oliver’s Fresh Pressed Blood Orange EVOO
- Fresh strawberries, sliced
- dash salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together Dark Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar and Blood Orange EVOO. Season to taste with salt, and lightly dress watercress topped with strawberries with vinaigrette.
Serve individually, with risotto, scallops, and a small amount of watercress salad on top. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette, sprinkle of cheese, and freshly cracked black pepper, if desired.