- 1 fennel bulb, cut in half, cored, and thinly sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- dash crushed red peppers
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons F. Oliver’s Dark Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar
- ¼ cup F. Oliver’s Fresh Pressed Blood Orange EVOO
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- ciabatta croutons (recipe below)
For Ciabatta Croutons:
- 4 slices ciabatta bread
- 1 Tablespoon F. Oliver’s Fresh Pressed Blood Orange EVOO
- 1 clove garlic, sliced in half lengthwise
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place sliced fennel in a medium sized bowl. In a small bowl, add garlic, crushed red pepper, and Dark Chocolate BV and mix well. Slowly whisk in Blood Orange EVOO, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle over fennel and mix well. Cover tightly and let marinate for 30 minutes to 3 hours (you can place in refrigerator but is fine at room temperature).
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350. Rub each slice of ciabatta bread with EVOO and then rub with exposed garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and bake for 5-8 minutes or until toasted.
- Serve fennel mixture topped with pomegranate seeds, blue cheese, and crouton.
Wondering what fennel is? It is a bulbous vegetable great for salads. It has a bright fresh taste, and accompanies cheeses and sweet fruits wonderfully.