This tender, flavorful beef is perfect comfort food in the winter months. You can make it with any F. Oliver’s EVOO and balsamic for a range of flavor profiles. It’s great in the crock pot too!
Balsamic Braised Beef
Recipe type: Beef
- 3 - 3 ½ lb boneless chuck roast
- 6 tablespoons F. Oliver’s EVOO
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ cup red wine
- ¼ cup F. Oliver’s balsamic
- ½ cup beef stock
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large onion sliced
- Cut the beef into large chunks.
- Heat EVOO in a skillet over medium-high heat (we suggest F. Oliver’s Heady Garlic, Blood Orange, Sage Wild Harvest Mushroom or a single varietal).
- Brown the beef chunks, remove them and set aside when brown.
- Cook the onions in the same skillet until translucent
- In a Dutch oven, combine browned beef, onions, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, and crushed garlic. Add the red wine, beef stock and the balsamic of your choice (F. Oliver’s Felix Special Reserve, Ripe Fig, Italian Herb or Royal Pomegranate all work great) to the meat and bring it to a boil.
- Once the liquid is boiling, remove from the cooktop and place the pot into a 325 degree oven for 2 ½ -3 hours Meat should be cooked through and very tender.
Great served with whipped potatoes and roasted veggies.
Note: Can also be done in a slow cooker. After browning the beef, place all ingredients in slow cooker. Set on low for 6-8 hours.